Types of Latex: Organic Rubber Latex -Synthetic Latex -Or a Combination of the Two
Organic Latex: Organic latex is made from the sap of the rubber tree which is processed (see manufacturing process for Dunlop and Talalay). A mattress made from organic latex does not contain any chemicals, synthetics, pesticides, herbicides, or other man-made products.
100% Natural Dunlop or Talalay Latex: Like organic latex, 100% natural is made from the sap of the rubber tree which is processed (see manufacturing process for Dunlop and Talalay). 100% Natural latex does not carry the associated USDA agricultural certification. The manufacturing process for organic latex and 100% natural latex is the same. The quality of the end product is identical.
Synthetic Latex: Latex that is not 100% organic is mixed with petroleum based plasticizer like butadiene and styrene that creates synthetic latex.
Blended Latex: Some companies combine organic and synthetic latex in their mattresses. Our latex mattress isn’t like this, but some combination latex mattresses also include fillers which are particles of clay (or other materials) that are mixed into the latex. Fillers make latex cheaper, but also less durable and stiffer.
Latex Extraction and Sustainability
The rubber for latex mattress comes from Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Thailand. Sleeping Organic extracts our rubber sap from sustainable plantations in Sri Lanka, and manufactures our mattresses in the United States. The technique for tapping latex from rubber trees eliminates a need to cut down the tree for latex extraction, creating a sustainable relationship between sleep and sap. Latex is extracted by carefully cutting the bark of rubber trees (which heals rapidly) to allow the flow of the white milk-type sap without damaging the tree. Rubber trees can yield latex for as long as 30 years. When the trees are harvested, the land is replanted and the Rubber-wood is used to create furniture. Latex is all-natural, and biodegradable. In order to appreciate the value of latex, it is necessary to understand that each rubber tree weeps 15 grams of latex, daily. The core of a queen sized mattress requires the daily output of 2,500 trees that spread over 12 acres of rubber plantation. This provides a living to eight rubber tappers. Interestingly, these rubber trees accounts for the removal of 143 metric tons of Carbon Dioxide from the environment over one year.
Latex Manufacturing Process
|Consistency||Dunlop is denser than Talalay which makes it a bit firmer, heavier and more durable||Talalay has a more consistent cell structure, making it more soft and pillow-like|
|Major Uses||This firmer latex is typically used as a base core component||Talalay is typically preferred as a top cushion layer|
Allergies are caused by the presence of proteins in a material. The protein in latex can cause an allergic reaction in some people. Some proteins in organic latex are similar to food proteins such as: bananas, avocados, chestnuts, kiwi, and tomatoes. Allergic reactions differ in severity from one individual to another. Severity often depends on the extent of contact between latex and the human body. People often suffer from extreme allergic reactions when being exposed to balloons, gloves, condoms, and other products that come in direct contact with the body. However, people seldom experience intense allergic reactions to organic latex mattresses due to barriers like sheets, pillows cases, and mattress covers that act as a shield between the body and the latex. One-hundred percent organic latex manufacturing processes helps prevent allergies by extensively washing off all of the free proteins. We use 1.5 cubic meters of good drinkable quality water in the final wash through to keep latex allergies to a bare minimum. Therefore, the quality and availability of clean drinking water is essential in producing organic latex mattresses. In our case, the government sponsored Board of Investment Export Processing Zone in Avissawella, Sri Lanka makes sure this quality water is available in abundance during our manufacturing process.
After a hectic and tiresome day, the immediate thing one would favour doing is relaxing. Sleeping is a very essential routine in our 24 hour day. Doctors recommend at least 8 hours of sleep in order for our body to recover and revive from our daily dose of stress. Maintaining a good sleep schedule can improve one’s safety and mental health. Getting adequate sleep plays an important role in having a healthy lifestyle. However, if one becomes sleep deficient, it not only gives under eye circles, but can cause chronic illnesses as well.
When sleeping becomes so crucial, selecting an ideal mattress is as important. A good mattress aids in vanishing sleep problems. This is because a comfy mattress leads to a great sleep. According to our preferences and various body types, there are different types of mattresses available in the market.
Buying the right mattress can be quite confusing and time taking. So here a few types of mattresses that are popular choices amongst people. This will help in narrowing down the choice of mattresses.
- Memory Foams: It is the earliest discovered material made from viscoelastic. It is extremely soft that it gives the feel of floating in the sky, on clouds. It moulds into any body type and retains its shape when pressure is removed. This type of mattress is known to enhance the sleep for people with back pain as it relieves pain.
- Pocket Coils: It is a mattress with individually wrapped coils covered with foam and fiber to provide comfort. These are the most popular mattresses used today. They provide the most all around comfort than any other types of mattresses.
- Hybrids: It is a mattress with individually wrapped coils covered with memory foam to provide comfort. These are very popular as well because they give you the best of both worlds, memory foam and pocket coils. They provide the support of memory foam mattresses and the comfort of a pocket coil mattress.
- Innersprings: It is a mattress with a spring system covered with foam and fiber to provide comfort. These are the cheapest and mostly used mattress. These were the oldest mattresses, used from our grandparents’ time. But, the disadvantages are that these attract dust, they tend to be heavy and they are not ideal for humid climates.
- Air beds: These use different quantities of air to adjust the firmness depending on personal preferences. Many of these beds have a dual chamber setting, so the couples can sleep based on their likings. Air beds are cheaper and long-lasting. But, assembling the mattress is a pain and air tends to escape overnight, so regular pumping is mandatory.
- Water beds: These are widely used in relieving pain and are used in sleep therapy. The main plus point is the fact that temperature is adjustable. So, it can be set cool in the summers and warm during the winters. On the other hand, water beds are expensive and tend to jiggle, disturbing the partner that is sleeping with you.
Half Price Mattress is one of the most famous mattress stores in Las Vegas. It has a variety of options to choose from, keeping in mind every customer’s preferences. You are promised to get your ideal mattress in your desired color. So, giving Half Price Mattress a try would be a smart option for a great sleep. Now, you can choose your ideal mattress from our online mattress store.
With the new seasons coming around the corner comes our new line up of iDream and iRetreat Gel Hybrid mattresses! The iDream and iRetreat Hybrid mattresses combine all the benefits of an individual wrapped coil mattress with those of a luxury memory foam mattress. iDream and iRereat is both supportive and conforming to your body providing maximum support and comfortability!
A mattress is a must have item in every household. They aid in providing better sleep and comfort on those hectic days of work. Even when people are suffering from sleep deprivation or disorders, having a comfy mattress will always be great. As essential as a mattress is, choosing the correct type of mattress is as important. Now-a-days, the foam mattresses are in trend and there are two types: memory foam and gel foam.
Memory foam is earliest discovered mattress of all mattress types. The manufacturers improvised this to the gel foam, because, it is similar to the memory foam but, has extra gel micro beads in it. Both the mattress types are known to provide support and comfort, making it ideal for patients with back or neck pain. Both absorb movement, so the jiggling of one will not disturb the other one. Lastly, both are mould and bacteria resistant, so, allergies are not a problem at all.
Let us discuss further, the differences between the memory and gel foam mattresses, to see which one is more ideal.
- Heat distribution: The gel foam mattress distributes the heat, leaving the area cool during summers. On the other hand, the memory foam tends to absorb the heat, leaving the person uncomfortable. Gel foams would be recommended in the summers, while memory foam is for people experiencing harsh and cold winters.
- Material: Both, the memory and gel foam are made from viscoelastic except that there is gel infused in the gel foam mattress.
- Longevity: The gel foam tends to degrade quicker, due to the infused gel beads. The additional gel beads does not strengthen the structure, instead, degrades it. However, the memory foam is made of durable material causing it to last for a longer time.
- Cost: The extra gel in the mattress causes them to be expensive. But, memory foam is lighter on the pocket.
- Feel: Memory foam is extremely flexible and allows the person to sink in to the mattress. While, the gel foam is sturdier due to the infused gels, causing it to be slightly firm.
- Odour: Memory foam is made of organic material producing a minimal odour, and is idea for sensitive allergies. But, the gel foam is made of synthetic material, causing a slight odour.
Gel foam utilizes newer technology, while the memory foam is being used for many years. So, it has been tried and tested. Whichever material is chosen, buying it from a trustworthy and genuine shop is very important.
Benefits of an Adjustable Base:
- Reduce Snoring – with an adjustable foundation, you can adjust the postion of you head to help open up airways and reduce snoring.
- Reduce Acid Reflux – slightly raising your head can also help reduce uncomfortable acid reflux, helping you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep through the night.
- Ease Shoulder, Neck and Back Pain – Elevating your head and feet can help alleviate pressure on your lower back, allowing your muscles to relax after a long day. Because your muscles don’t have to work through the night, you can wake up more relaxed and with less pain.
- Improve Circulation – Elevating your head and feet can help to increase blood flow to your muscles. This can help reduce tossing and turning and can lead to a deeper, more restful sleep.
When you decide to go mattress shopping, there are a few things that you need to ascertain before visiting the stores. One of those many things is to know about all the different mattress options, from which, you have to choose the one that’s perfect for you. It is a big market and you have a lots of varieties available ranging from the classic fiber-filled mattresses to the modern air-chambered mattress.
Let’s take a look at the options available when you go mattress shopping:
These mattresses consist of a spring core. These mattresses are made up of steel coil springs. This spring core is what supports the sleeper’s body. Most coils are interconnected using wires and these coils help retain the mattress shape.
These mattresses are made from different petrochemical based polyurethane foams, memory foams and latex rubber foams.
- Latex Foam: These are produced using two different processes namely Talalay and Dunlop process and each provides a different feel. Dunlop is firmer foam and this process produces denser foam while Talalay is softer foam and this process produces lighter foam. Since latex is naturally resistant to dust mites, you will not need to spend any extra money on additional protective accessories. It is good for people who have back pain or spine related problems as the spine is properly aligned when you sleep on a latex mattress.
- Memory Foam: These use visco-elastic foam over polyurethane based foam. Different feels and comfort levels are achieved with varying levels of thickness, weight and formulation of foams. Mattresses made using this foam are sensitive to temperature and pressure. It molds to the individual’s body in response to heat and pressure. These mattresses give a feeling of floating which helps many people feel calm and relaxed leading to a deep, restful sleep. It also limits any and all motion coming from your partner. Though, people who tend to get hot while sleeping or who live at places with a relatively hot climate, avoid it as it is sensitive to temperature.
These mattresses are a fusion of two or more mattress types. Generally, these are a combination of innerspring and memory foam, thereby providing the benefits of both types of mattresses. Hence, these provide sleepers with a blend of strong support and contouring comfort.
These use air chambers as support instead of spring coils. They allow for independent adjustment of each side of the bed. It is completely customizable according to different body sizes, weights and shapes.
Pillow Top Mattress
These mattresses have an added layer of soft material either stuffed or stitched right on the top of the mattress in order to provide extra comfort and relief.
There are a lot of options available when it comes to mattress shopping in Las Vegas. One of the best options is to visit Half Price Mattress Liquidation Center at 1214 Wigwam Pkwy, Henderson, NV 89074, and receive heavy discounts and amazing deals.