A mattress is a must have item in every household. They aid in providing better sleep and comfort on those hectic days of work. Even when people are suffering from sleep deprivation or disorders, having a comfy mattress will always be great. As essential as a mattress is, choosing the correct type of mattress is as important. Now-a-days, the foam mattresses are in trend and there are two types: memory foam and gel foam.
Memory foam is earliest discovered mattress of all mattress types. The manufacturers improvised this to the gel foam, because, it is similar to the memory foam but, has extra gel micro beads in it. Both the mattress types are known to provide support and comfort, making it ideal for patients with back or neck pain. Both absorb movement, so the jiggling of one will not disturb the other one. Lastly, both are mould and bacteria resistant, so, allergies are not a problem at all.
Let us discuss further, the differences between the memory and gel foam mattresses, to see which one is more ideal.
- Heat distribution: The gel foam mattress distributes the heat, leaving the area cool during summers. On the other hand, the memory foam tends to absorb the heat, leaving the person uncomfortable. Gel foams would be recommended in the summers, while memory foam is for people experiencing harsh and cold winters.
- Material: Both, the memory and gel foam are made from viscoelastic except that there is gel infused in the gel foam mattress.
- Longevity: The gel foam tends to degrade quicker, due to the infused gel beads. The additional gel beads does not strengthen the structure, instead, degrades it. However, the memory foam is made of durable material causing it to last for a longer time.
- Cost: The extra gel in the mattress causes them to be expensive. But, memory foam is lighter on the pocket.
- Feel: Memory foam is extremely flexible and allows the person to sink in to the mattress. While, the gel foam is sturdier due to the infused gels, causing it to be slightly firm.
- Odour: Memory foam is made of organic material producing a minimal odour, and is idea for sensitive allergies. But, the gel foam is made of synthetic material, causing a slight odour.
Gel foam utilizes newer technology, while the memory foam is being used for many years. So, it has been tried and tested. Whichever material is chosen, buying it from a trustworthy and genuine shop is very important.